With calving season approaching, consider these nine things to help make everything easier in the months ahead.
- Keep your cows’ vaccination schedule up-to-date. This helps ensure fetal protection and helps pregnant cows produce antibody-rich colostrum for newborn calf protection.
- Stay on top of your cows’ parasite control plan. Because calves are exposed to a herd’s parasites, reducing parasite exposure gives newborns a better chance.
- Monitor your herd closely as calving time nears.
- Clean, disinfect, and prep calving barn and equipment.
- Provide a good Mineral Program during gestation and lactation. Consider IFA “ICBM Mineral” line.
- Make sure calves stand and nurse within an hour of birth.
- Confirm that the placenta (afterbirth) is expelled from the cow within 8-12 hours of birth.
- Be prepared for the unexpected! Have your veterinarian’s contact information handy in case of calving difficulties (i.e. calf not delivered within 4 hours of water breaking).
- Have supportive care supplies on hand: milk replacer, calf bottle, electrolytes, heat lamp, dry bedding, Colostrum etc.
Trust these preventative vaccines to help keep pregnant cows healthy and give calves a strong start.
CLOSTRIDIUM VACCINE (8 WAY, BLACKLEG)
Clostridium hemoglobinuria, Clostridium Chauvoei, Clostridum perfringens, Clostridum septicum, Clostridium novyi, Clostridium sordellii, Clostridium Type C & D.
Examples: Ultrabac 8, Ultrabac 7, Bar Vac 7, Bar Vac 8, Alpha 7, UltraChoice 7, UltraChoice 8, Covexin 8, Cavalry 9, Clostri Shield 7, Vision 7, Vision 8
VIRAL VACCINES (4-WAY, 5-WAY, 6-WAY)
IBR, PI3, BRSV, Type 1 BVD, Type 2 BVD
Helps protect against the 4 -5 most common viral respiratory and reproductive diseases;
Examples: Bovi-Shield Gold 5, Titanium 5, Vista 5, Pyramid 5, Vira-Shield 6, Triangle 5, Cattlemaster Gold 5, Express 5, Elite 9
PNEUMONIA VACCINE-PASTURELLA (BACTERIAL)
Pasturella mannheimia haemolytica, Pasturella Multocida.
Examples: One Shot, Once PMH, Once PMH IN, Presponse SQ, Presponse HM, Nuplurah PH, Pulmoguard PHM, Zelnate, Respishield HM
VIBRO & LEPTO VACCINE
Helps prevent infection caused by Lepto hardjo-bovis and aids in the prevention of leptospirosis and vibriosis.
Examples: Spirovac, Vib-Shield, StayBred
Helps protect against rotavirus and helps provide broad scours protection for newborn calves.
**There are multiple combinations of Clostridial, Viral, and Respiratory vaccines available as well. You can cover multiple fractions with fewer injection sites!
Examples: Scour Bos 9, ScourGuard, Scourvac 4KC
Broad-spectrum treatment and control of both internal and external cattle parasites. Available in an injectable, pour-on or drench solution.
Examples: Dectomax, SafeGuard, Cydectin, Ivermectin, Ivomec, Eprinex, Valbazen
Written by Kyle Loveland, IFA Animal Health Category Manager, and originally published in the IFA Cooperator magazine (vol. 84, no. 4) Winter 2018.
|DOWNLOAD ARTICLE (PDF)|
LIKE OR FOLLOW US: